- I am acting as Program Chair for the 39th European Conference on Information Retrieval.
- I am organizing the 15th Dutch-Belgian Information Retrieval Workshop; it will take place on November 25, 2016 in Delft.
- At ACM SIGIR 2016 I co-organized a workshop on Search as Learning together with Jacek Gwizdka, Preben Hansen, Jiyin He and Noriko Kando. The workshop proceedings are available through CEUR. I am also a guest editor of a special issue (PDF) on the topic in Springer’s Information Retrieval Journal as well as a co-organizer of a Dagstuhl Seminar on Search As Learning in Spring 2017.
- My team’s learning analytics research is taking off with six recent full paper acceptances at ACM UMAP 2016, ACM WebScience 2016, EDM 2016, ACM L@S 2016 and 2x ECTEL 2016.
Since 2013, I have been working as Assistant Professor (tenured as of 01/2016) at the Web Information Systems group, Delft University of Technology. Between 2011 and 2012 I was a Postdoc in the same group. I received my PhD in 2010 from the University of Twente, where I worked in the Human Media Interaction group. The Otto-von-Guericke University of Magdeburg in Germany was my home during my undergraduate years as a student in computer science. In the past, I have worked on a variety of topics in the fields of information retrieval & data science, including query performance prediction (the topic of my PhD thesis), social search, computational social science, learning to search and IR for specific user groups.
I have diverse research interests and am always happy to dive into a new area. Together with three PhD students I am supervising (Guanliang Chen, Yue Zhao and Dan Davis), I am currently focusing heavily on large-scale learning analytics and how to incorporate search into the learning process at scale (after all, I am an IR researcher!). TU Delft is a very active provider of Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) on the edX platform, which provides a rich experimental playground; ultimately, I and the whole WIS Learning Analytics team I lead, aim to provide insights and develop mechanisms to improve learning at scale. To get a quick overview of the kind of questions we have recently published about, take a look at the following slides, they cover each contribution in 1-2 slides:
If you are looking for collaborations in the crossover between learning analytics and IR, please get in touch.
TU Delft - EWI/SCT/WIS PO Box 5031 2600 GA Delft The Netherlands Office: HB 08.110 Email: c.hauff[at]tudelft.nl or claudia.hauff[at]gmail.com
Organizational duties and activities
- Program Chair of the 39th European Conference on Information Retrieval
- Organizer of the 15th Dutch-Belgian Information Retrieval Workshop (taking place in November 2016)
- Invited talk at the Data Science Northeast Netherlands meetup (October 2016)
- Guest editor of the special issue Search as Learning in Springer’s Information Retrieval Journal
- Co-organizer of a Dagstuhl seminar on Search as Learning to be held in February 2017
- Member of the 2016 Steering Committee ICT with Industry workshop, organised by NWO and STW
- Co-organizer of the Search as Learning workshop at SIGIR 2016
- Demo co-chair of the 38th European Conference on Information Retrieval
- Invited talk at the #SupportTheCause symposium on Twitter-based election forecasting (January 2016)
- Coordinator (one of two) of the Data Science & Technology track within TU Delft’s Computer Science MSc program since 11/2015
- Invited talk at Sanoma on Searching and Learning (October 2015)
- Invited talk at ILPS, University of Amsterdam on Searching and Learning (September 2015)
- Co-organizer of the TAIA 2015 workshop, co-located with SIGIR 2015
- Co-organizer of the Delft Data Science Seminar on Online Education (March 2015)
- Co-organizer of the Placing Task benchmark @ MediaEval 2015
- Co-organizer of the TAIA 2014 workshop, co-located with SIGIR 2014
- Proceedings chair at WSDM 2014
- Member of the 2014 NWO selection committee Doctoral Grant for Teachers
- Participated in the 2014 edition of the Heidelberg Laureate Forum
- Successful completion of the University Teaching Qualification (also known as BKO or Basis Kwalificatie Onderwijs) in August 2014
- Invited lecture in the PhD course Data Science, offered by the Dutch Research School for Information and Knowledge Systems
- Co-organizer of the Placing Task benchmark @ MediaEval 2013
- Invited lecture in the PhD course Technology-enhanced Learning, offered by the Dutch Research School for Information and Knowledge Systems
- Part of the local organization team of SIGIR 2007