- Two demos of my team will make an appearance at SIGIR 2018: a collaborative search (on GitHub: frontend and backend) and an A/B testing framework (also on GitHub)
- In February 2018 I started a new project on algorithmic biases together with the University of Amsterdam. Exciting times ahead!
- The Search as Learning Dagstuhl Seminar I co-organized earlier this year was a success! I wrote a blog post on some of the challenges we identified.
- I have spent my summer ‘17 at Blendle, a Dutch online news platform startup, and tinkered around with their search.
- I have been awarded an NWO VIDI grant for my proposal Integrating search and sensemaking into large-scale open online learning; this means funding for 2 PhDs and 1 postdoc position. Vacancies will be anounced soon. If you are looking for an IR PhD/postdoc position contact me!
- I attended ICLR in April ‘17 and wrote a blog post about it.
Since 2013, I have been working as staff member (Assistant Prof since 2013, tenured as of 2016 and Associate as of 2018) at the Web Information Systems group, Delft University of Technology. Between 2011 and 2012 I was a Postdoc in the same group. I received my PhD in 2010 from the University of Twente, where I worked in the Human Media Interaction group. The Otto-von-Guericke University of Magdeburg in Germany was my home during my undergraduate years as a student in computer science. In the past, I have worked on a variety of topics in the fields of information retrieval & data science, including query performance prediction (the topic of my PhD thesis), social search, computational social science, learning to search and IR for specific user groups.
I have diverse research interests and am always happy to dive into a new area. Together with four PhD students I am supervising (Guanliang Chen, Yue Zhao, Felipe Moraes and Dan Davis), I am currently focusing on large-scale learning analytics and how to incorporate search into the learning process at scale. In 2016 and 2017 I have been awarded two prestigious personal grants by the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) with a total funding of more than 1 million euros; this translates into 4-5 PhD/postdoc positions in the developing “search as learning” research area; take a look at the Dagstuhl Seminar I co-organized on the topic to get an idea of what it is about. TU Delft is a very active provider of Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) on the edX platform, which provides a rich experimental playground for my Lambda-Lab team. To get a quick overview of the kind of questions we have recently published about, take a look at the following slides, they cover each contribution in 1-2 slides (check the speaker notes as well):
TU Delft - EWI/ST/WIS PO Box 5031 2600 GA Delft The Netherlands Office: Van Mourik Broekmanweg 6, East Wing 04.60 Email: c.hauff[at]tudelft.nl or claudia.hauff[at]gmail.com
Organizational duties and activities
- Short paper co-chair at ECIR 2019
- Invited keynote at CORIA, the French chapter of IR conferences (May 2018)
- Invited participant at the Third Strategic Workshop in Information Retrieval (SWIRL III) in Lorne (February 2018)
- Invited talk at the General Mathematics Colloqium Leiden (December 2017)
- Invited talk at the Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science (December 2017)
- Invited talk (slides) at the Search Engines Amsterdam meetup (November 2017)
- Invited panel member at the ICTIR 2017 workshop Search-Oriented Conversational AI and the SIGIR 2017 workshop on Neural Information Retrieval
- Invited speaker at a special panel on on grant acquisition at the ICTng Retreat
- Editorial Board member of Springer’s Information Retrieval Journal
- Tutorial Chair at the 40th European Conference on Information Retrieval (2018)
- Invited talk at the Education in exponential times workshop in Madrid (July 2017)
- Member of the advisory board of the European project AFEL (May 2017)
- Organizer of the Delft Data Science Seminar on Online Education (March 2017)
- Editorial Board member of the Foundations and Trends in Information Retrieval journal
- Co-organizer of the Placing Task benchmark @ MediaEval 2016
- Program Chair of the 39th European Conference on Information Retrieval; mentor at ECIR’s doctoral consortium
- Organizer of the 15th Dutch-Belgian Information Retrieval Workshop (November 2016)
- Invited talk (slides) at the Data Science Northeast Netherlands meetup (October 2016)
- Guest editor of the special issue Search as Learning in Springer’s Information Retrieval Journal
- Co-organizer of a Dagstuhl seminar on Search as Learning (February 2017)
- Member of the 2016-2018 Steering Committee ICT with Industry workshop
- Co-organizer of the Search as Learning workshop at SIGIR 2016
- Demo co-chair of the 38th European Conference on Information Retrieval
- Invited talk at the #SupportTheCause symposium on Twitter-based election forecasting (January 2016)
- Coordinator (one of two) of the Data Science & Technology track within TU Delft’s Computer Science MSc program since 11/2015
- Invited talk at Sanoma on Searching and Learning (October 2015)
- Invited talk at ILPS, University of Amsterdam on Searching and Learning (September 2015)
- Co-organizer of the TAIA 2015 workshop, co-located with SIGIR 2015
- Co-organizer of the Delft Data Science Seminar on Online Education (March 2015)
- Co-organizer of the Placing Task benchmark @ MediaEval 2015
- Co-organizer of the TAIA 2014 workshop, co-located with SIGIR 2014
- Proceedings chair at WSDM 2014
- Member of the 2014 NWO selection committee Doctoral Grant for Teachers
- Participated in the 2014 edition of the Heidelberg Laureate Forum
- Successful completion of the University Teaching Qualification (also known as BKO or Basis Kwalificatie Onderwijs) in August 2014
- Invited lecture in the PhD course Data Science, offered by the Dutch Research School for Information and Knowledge Systems
- Co-organizer of the Placing Task benchmark @ MediaEval 2013
- Invited lecture in the PhD course Technology-enhanced Learning, offered by the Dutch Research School for Information and Knowledge Systems
- Part of the local organization team of SIGIR 2007
- NWA Startimpulsprogramma VWData (325,000€) awarded together with 2 co-PIS. A two-year Postdoc position will be funded within a work package that considers fairness in news recommenders.
- NWO VIDI grant (800,000€) for my proposal SearchX: Integrating search and sensemaking into large-scale open online learning, May 2017 (personal grant, 15% acceptance rate)
- NWO TOP grant (226,000€) to conduct “innovative or high-risk scientific research that addresses questions of high quality and urgency;” specifically I will push the boundaries of large-scale collaborative search, November 2016 (personal grant, 23% acceptance rate)
- Grant (33,000€) from the Leiden-Delft-Erasmus Centre for Education and Learning to conduct research on the benefits of eyetracking in massive open online learning, November 2016
- TU Delft Education Research tender (2,500€, 1 co-PI) to bring real-time teaching and learning analytics into the classroom, July 2016
- TU Delft Study Success tender (3,000€, 1 co-PI) to further improve teaching in the Bachelor, September 2015
- TU Delft Blended Education tender (10,000€, 1 co-PI) to improve teaching in the Bachelor, September 2014