- Between February and April 2019 I am co-teaching the MSc Information Retrieval course at TU Delft. All materials are available on GitHub.
- Blog post about our latest Information Retrieval Journal article is up where we explore the impact of group size on collaborative search effectiveness.
- Three colleagues and I have set up a monthly Delft AI meetup group. Join it if you are a local!
- Blog post on EMNLP 2018 is up!
- As of October 2018 I have created extensive lectures materials (assignments, transcripts, demo applications, exams) for my first year BSc Computer Science & Engineering web technology lectures.
- If you are interested in a PhD or Postdoc position in information retrieval and related areas (NLP, data science) please get in touch!
- Our paper Contrasting search as a learning activity with instructor-designed learning led by Felipe Moraes with Sindunuraga Rikarno Putra, a Master student in my team, as second author, accepted as a full paper at CIKM 2018 (blog post).
Since 2013, I have been working as staff member (Assistant Prof since 2013 and Associate as of 2018) at the Web Information Systems group, Delft University of Technology. Between 2011 and 2012 I was a Postdoc in the same group. I received my PhD in 2010 from the University of Twente, where I worked in the Human Media Interaction group. The Otto-von-Guericke University of Magdeburg in Germany was my home during my undergraduate years as a student in computer science. In the past, I have worked on a variety of topics in the fields of information retrieval & data science, including query performance prediction (the topic of my PhD thesis), social search, computational social science, learning to search and IR for specific user groups.
I have diverse research interests and am always happy to dive into a new area. Together with a number of PhD students I am currently focusing on large-scale learning analytics and how to incorporate search into the human learning process at scale (lately through the use of conversational search). In 2016 and 2017 I have been awarded two prestigious personal grants by the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) with a total funding of more than 1 million euros; this translates into 4-5 PhD/postdoc positions in the developing “search as learning” research area; take a look at the Dagstuhl Seminar I co-organized on the topic to get an idea of what it is about. TU Delft is a very active provider of Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) on the edX platform, which provides a rich experimental playground for my Lambda-Lab team.
In 2018, I gave an invited keynote at the French IR conference CORIA 2018 on the topic of Search as Learning:
A very condensed overview of my team’s research efforts over the last ~4 years can be found here (lots of MOOC work as well as search as learning):
TU Delft - EWI/ST/WIS PO Box 5031 2600 GA Delft The Netherlands Office: Van Mourik Broekmanweg 6, East Wing 04.100 Email: c.hauff[at]tudelft.nl or claudia.hauff[at]gmail.com
Current members of my lab
- Arthur Barbosa Câmara (PhD student, since 11/2018)
- Gustavo Penha (PhD student, since 11/2018)
- Felipe Moraes (PhD student, ongoing )
- Dimitrios Bountouridis (Postdoc, ongoing)
- Dan Davis (PhD student, completion in 05/2019)
- Guanliang Chen (PhD student, completion in 05/2019)
- Yue Zhao (PhD student, completion in 04/2019)
Past members of my lab
- Ke Tao (PhD student, graduated in 2014)
- Mónica Marrero (Research engineer, 2017-18)
- SearchX is a scalable collaborative search system, developed to research large-scale search and sensemaking experiments. Lead developer is Felipe Moraes.
- APONE is an academic environment for online experiments, that we have used in our research and teaching. Lead developer is Mónica Marrero.
- SIREN is a simulation framework for understanding the effects of recommender systems in online news environments. Lead developer is Dimitrios Bountouridis.
- NWO Aspasia grant (100,000€) as a top-up of my NWO VIDI (50K for my research, 50K for diversity measures in the faculty), September 2018.
- NWA Startimpulsprogramma VWData (325,000€) awarded together with 2 co-PIS. A two-year Postdoc position will be funded within a work package that considers fairness in news recommenders.
- NWO VIDI grant (800,000€) for my proposal SearchX: Integrating search and sensemaking into large-scale open online learning, May 2017 (personal grant, 15% acceptance rate)
- NWO TOP grant (226,000€) to conduct “innovative or high-risk scientific research that addresses questions of high quality and urgency;” specifically I will push the boundaries of large-scale collaborative search, November 2016 (personal grant, 23% acceptance rate)
- Grant (33,000€) from the Leiden-Delft-Erasmus Centre for Education and Learning to conduct research on the benefits of eyetracking in massive open online learning, November 2016
- TU Delft Education Research tender (2,500€, 1 co-PI) to bring real-time teaching and learning analytics into the classroom, July 2016
- TU Delft Study Success tender (3,000€, 1 co-PI) to further improve teaching in the Bachelor, September 2015
- TU Delft Blended Education tender (10,000€, 1 co-PI) to improve teaching in the Bachelor, September 2014
Organizational duties and activities
- Co-organizer of the SIGIR 2019 Open-Source IR Replicability Challenge (OSIRRC 2019)
- Invited participant at the Conversational Search Dagstuhl Seminar (November 2019)
- Lecturer at ESSIR (July 2019)
- Invited participant at the CIFAR workshop AI-Powered Information Ecosystems and Democracy (June 2019)
- Invited talk at the Search Engines Amsterdam meetup (tentative: April 2019)
- Computational Science Advisory Board member of the Lorentz Center (since 2019)
- Program Co-Chair for CIKM 2020
- Invited speaker at the Israeli Learning Analytics Symposium (March 2019)
- Tutorial chair at ICTIR 2019
- Workshop co-chair at SIGIR 2019
- Delft AI meetup co-organizer (active since November 2018)
- Tutorial co-chair at WSDM 2019
- Short paper co-chair at ECIR 2019
- Invited keynote at CORIA, the French chapter of IR conferences (May 2018) (slides)
- Invited participant at the Third Strategic Workshop in Information Retrieval (SWIRL III) in Lorne (February 2018)
- Invited talk at the General Mathematics Colloqium Leiden (December 2017)
- Invited talk at the Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science (December 2017)
- Invited talk (slides) at the Search Engines Amsterdam meetup (November 2017)
- Invited panel member at the ICTIR 2017 workshop Search-Oriented Conversational AI and the SIGIR 2017 workshop on Neural Information Retrieval
- Invited speaker at a special panel on on grant acquisition at the ICTng Retreat
- Editorial Board member of Springer’s Information Retrieval Journal
- Tutorial Chair at the 40th European Conference on Information Retrieval (2018)
- Invited talk at the Education in exponential times workshop in Madrid (July 2017)
- Member of the advisory board of the European project AFEL (May 2017)
- Organizer of the Delft Data Science Seminar on Online Education (March 2017)
- Editorial Board member of the Foundations and Trends in Information Retrieval journal
- Co-organizer of the Placing Task benchmark @ MediaEval 2016
- Program Chair of the 39th European Conference on Information Retrieval; mentor at ECIR’s doctoral consortium
- Organizer of the 15th Dutch-Belgian Information Retrieval Workshop (November 2016)
- Invited talk (slides) at the Data Science Northeast Netherlands meetup (October 2016)
- Guest editor of the special issue Search as Learning in Springer’s Information Retrieval Journal
- Co-organizer of a Dagstuhl seminar on Search as Learning (February 2017)
- Member of the 2016-2018 Steering Committee ICT with Industry workshop (website of the 2017 edition)
- Co-organizer of the Search as Learning workshop at SIGIR 2016
- Demo co-chair of the 38th European Conference on Information Retrieval
- Invited talk at the #SupportTheCause symposium on Twitter-based election forecasting (January 2016)
- Coordinator (one of two) of the Data Science & Technology track within TU Delft’s Computer Science MSc program since 11/2015
- Invited talk at Sanoma on Searching and Learning (October 2015)
- Invited talk at ILPS, University of Amsterdam on Searching and Learning (September 2015)
- Co-organizer of the TAIA 2015 workshop, co-located with SIGIR 2015
- Co-organizer of the Delft Data Science Seminar on Online Education (March 2015)
- Co-organizer of the Placing Task benchmark @ MediaEval 2015
- Co-organizer of the TAIA 2014 workshop, co-located with SIGIR 2014
- Proceedings chair at WSDM 2014
- Member of the 2014 NWO selection committee Doctoral Grant for Teachers
- Participated in the 2014 edition of the Heidelberg Laureate Forum
- Successful completion of the University Teaching Qualification (also known as BKO or Basis Kwalificatie Onderwijs) in August 2014
- Invited lecture in the PhD course Data Science, offered by the Dutch Research School for Information and Knowledge Systems
- Co-organizer of the Placing Task benchmark @ MediaEval 2013
- Invited lecture in the PhD course Technology-enhanced Learning, offered by the Dutch Research School for Information and Knowledge Systems
- Part of the local organization team of SIGIR 2007
- Lecture link